Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2007 GYTR 700 RAPTOR and I was hoping you guys could give me some input on building it up?

So far I have a monsterduals system, aluminum airbox with K & N and the MonsterBox EFI tuner on it.

I'm switching to the PC III tuner set up this weekend and I also have a Dynatek programmable ignition for it here...

My question is what kind of mods could I add to make more power and still be a good trail machine?

I would be willing to go with more compression with a big bore kit ( want to stay pump gas ) camming and head port if you guys think it will make my goals....

I would like to have a pretty good amount of power in the end so lets hear your ideas!

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
How much money do you want to spend? Like said above you could start with a cam and a throttle body bore and see if you are happy.. That will run you under $400..

Or you could do a piston, cam, port and valves and TB for under $1200 and really pick up some power.. This is assuming you can do the assembly/dissassembly work.. It matters on your budget really..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Power?

How much money do you want to spend? Like said above you could start with a cam and a throttle body bore and see if you are happy.. That will run you under $400..

Or you could do a piston, cam, port and valves and TB for under $1200 and really pick up some power.. This is assuming you can do the assembly/dissassembly work.. It matters on your budget really..

I would spend $1200 to do those mods....I can assemble / disassemble myself....What kind of power could I get with a good cam, port and TB ???

Also , would supporting parts like the clutch and axles need to be upgraded to handle the extra power?

I would like to push a good amount of power out and still keep it pump gas and trail friendly.....Thanks for the help on this !:rockon:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
u would be around 62-65hp i think with that setup. no other parts would need to be ordered

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks !

u would be around 62-65hp i think with that setup. no other parts would need to be ordered
Wow ! This website ROX !!!!:banana:

Lots of good info and I'm sure with you guys helping I will have a monsta Raptor !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
RAPTOR GYTR & YFZ

Here is a pic at the Yamaha dealership of my 700 GYTR and a new YFZ 450 I just bought for my nephew ( pictured )

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
nice looking quads.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
id put i piston (11:1) in before doing the throttle bore, if u a re already doing the head,,,,,just another 4 bolts....
and all the parts in the world will do u no good if u dont find a good DYNO tuner in your area to make them all run togeather...

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
where u from dynotom?

btw nice choise on the exhaust

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
agree

all the parts in the world will do u no good if u dont find a good DYNO tuner in your area to make them all run togeather...

Yep, I agree ! I seen a lot of the dyno work and tuning you do here and I wish you were closer to Wisconsin so you could tune my 700 !:hail:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
S E Wisconsin....Is there any other Wisconsin guys here????
Right here DynoTom, Appleton in the house! BTW, those rims kick ass. Those are at the top of my list when my apparently indestructible Holeshot H-D's wear out.

Where abouts in SE WI? Milwaukee area? Where you been riding?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Right outside Milwaukee

I'm in a burb right outside Milwaukee...I work at the Harley - Davidson factory as a engine / trans R & D tester....We ride at Richard Bong Rec area and state park , it's only 8 miles of looped trails but, it's also only 40 minutes from my house...We are going up to the bunkhouse retreat ATV park in fall to ride and I also want to get to sliver lake sand dunes if i can....

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hey Dynotom,
I have the same quad as you. I strictly ride trails and the setup i have works perfectly. I purchased it with all the engine work already done,but id do it the same again. The power is perfect for the trails. One thing i would add before you get more power is a steering stabilizer. They are worth every penny. Makes riding so much more enjoyable. The rocks stumps and roots don't try to rip the bars out of your hands with one. And with more power it happens often.
As for the engine i would do 11:1 piston Stage 2 cam p&p head and +2 tb.Good purchase on the ignition and PCIII. And its important to get it dynoed somewhere so its tuned correctly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sounds good !

Hey Dynotom,
I have the same quad as you. I strictly ride trails and the setup i have works perfectly. I purchased it with all the engine work already done,but id do it the same again. The power is perfect for the trails. One thing i would add before you get more power is a steering stabilizer. They are worth every penny. Makes riding so much more enjoyable. The rocks stumps and roots don't try to rip the bars out of your hands with one. And with more power it happens often.
As for the engine i would do 11:1 piston Stage 2 cam p&p head and +2 tb.Good purchase on the ignition and PCIII. And its important to get it dynoed somewhere so its tuned correctly.

Your set up does sound like what I'm looking to do !

I'm learning a lot from this place !

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'd probably go HCIII, I saw a dyno somewhere, no loss on the low end over HCII and a few more HP on the top. Same price, more peak HP, why not, right?

I work in Brookfield a couple days a week, on 124th between Hampton and Capitol. Was just there today!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very Close !

I'd probably go HCIII, I saw a dyno somewhere, no loss on the low end over HCII and a few more HP on the top. Same price, more peak HP, why not, right?

I work in Brookfield a couple days a week, on 124th between Hampton and Capitol. Was just there today!

We work pretty close as I work at Harley plant on Capitol drive !

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'd check into a stabilizer too, made a very nice improvement, on a new quad I would do that probably before any engine work, keeps those bars from jerking around.

Well, maybe one of these days we'll have to head over to Toppers for a pizza! (if they serve beers!)

·
WILD ONES
887 Posts
Well here it is in my IMO... I would go with a Racers Edge head (no? on that one) An x-2 if you want more bottom to middle power or x-4 for more top end. I would go with an 11:1 cp or diamond piston.. Kenny at KDS and RE also carry those, both very good products. +2 or 3 TB, dynatek ignition, and a good intake and be done with it. You will be able to hang with the big boyz and still have plenty of reliability with stock bore/stroke

1 - 20 of 22 Posts