Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't want duals on my Raptor; I XC race and prefer a pipe that benefits the low/mid range more than the top end that duals do so well at. Anyway, with a single exhaust in mind, why would I choose to buy a whole system when I can get a good slip-on for cheaper? What are the advantages of a full system over a slip-on?

And while I'm at it, is there any benefit to titanium exhaust except weight savings? How about ceramic coating?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
205 Posts
half of the benifit of a full syatem is the header. the header is important because of flow design. i just went with a GYTR full system and am very happy so far. The coating is just to keep it lookin g pretty, my heatshield covers it up anyway so whatever. everyone raves about the curtis sparks full systenm but it doesnt come with heat shields so i didnt get it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't want duals on my Raptor; I XC race and prefer a pipe that benefits the low/mid range more than the top end that duals do so well at. Anyway, with a single exhaust in mind, why would I choose to buy a whole system when I can get a good slip-on for cheaper? What are the advantages of a full system over a slip-on?

And while I'm at it, is there any benefit to titanium exhaust except weight savings? How about ceramic coating?

Thanks,
Chris
Hey Chris,

I race desert offroad and also have similar power band needs as you. I have the Trinity Stage 3 Slip On and have noticed a huge bottom and mid hit from this. I run 100 octane race gas with no computer mod, the race gas richens the motor for me. I also run a Twin Air Filter (one of my sponsors). Very nice sound, hard pull throughout the gears and reasonable price. For what its worth....:coolshades:

Jimmy

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Chris,

I race desert offroad and also have similar power band needs as you. I have the Trinity Stage 3 Slip On and have noticed a huge bottom and mid hit from this. I run 100 octane race gas with no computer mod, the race gas richens the motor for me. I also run a Twin Air Filter (one of my sponsors). Very nice sound, hard pull throughout the gears and reasonable price. For what its worth....:coolshades:

Jimmy
Hey man, I never thought of slipping it some race gas to richen the mixture. I run race gas in another quad(it needs it) and know that it richens things up, guess I just needed to make the connection.

Are you running the Twin Air modified intake setup, I forgot the name, the one that removes the backfire screen. It looks like a good, simple setup and I'm sure the Twin Air filter does it's job well. I only run Uni foam right now, the stock setup, but have looked at the Twin Air mod filter. I won't run a K&N in the environment my engine sees.

I'm looking at a Leo Vince slip-on or full system. Anybody out your way run the Leo Vince? I emailed them cause they say you don't have to change the fuel map and they responded that it would be fine as long as I kept the airbox lid on, which I intend to do. IDK, my need for low/mid power seems at odds with most of the stuff developed for the Raptor engine.

One more thing, throw up a pic of one of your races, I'd love to see it.

Thanks for input,
Chris

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
half of the benifit of a full syatem is the header. the header is important because of flow design. i just went with a GYTR full system and am very happy so far. The coating is just to keep it lookin g pretty, my heatshield covers it up anyway so whatever. everyone raves about the curtis sparks full systenm but it doesnt come with heat shields so i didnt get it.

+1 on the header.. if you leave the stock on your not going to gain as much with just a slip on.. you might as well save your money and just pull the s/a out and call it a day..

·
Registered
31 Posts
+1 on the header.. if you leave the stock on your not going to gain as much with just a slip on.. you might as well save your money and just pull the s/a out and call it a day..
While I agree the header makes a difference its a small one. In most bikes its a huge difference but with the Raptor our engineer buddies at Yamaha actually allowed the header pipe to flow pretty nicely. If you really want to notice a difference go with port work on the head. Its about the same money as the header pipe and will put a biggg smile on your face when you reach for a handful. :coolshades:

Jimmy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey man, I never thought of slipping it some race gas to richen the mixture. I run race gas in another quad(it needs it) and know that it richens things up, guess I just needed to make the connection.

Are you running the Twin Air modified intake setup, I forgot the name, the one that removes the backfire screen. It looks like a good, simple setup and I'm sure the Twin Air filter does it's job well. I only run Uni foam right now, the stock setup, but have looked at the Twin Air mod filter. I won't run a K&N in the environment my engine sees.

I'm looking at a Leo Vince slip-on or full system. Anybody out your way run the Leo Vince? I emailed them cause they say you don't have to change the fuel map and they responded that it would be fine as long as I kept the airbox lid on, which I intend to do. IDK, my need for low/mid power seems at odds with most of the stuff developed for the Raptor engine.

One more thing, throw up a pic of one of your races, I'd love to see it.

Thanks for input,
Chris
Yes the Leo Vince I have heard is a nice set up. In reality, although I am sure I am going to get hammered here after saying this. You don't have to change the efi controller on the Raptor. My point is if you are just going to run a pipe and leave the airbox on and covered and have no additional mods to the motor your fine. The efi controller really makes a difference when you have engine mods like cams and a new piston or modify the airbox. Run the race gas(not too high) with aftermarket air filter with the lid on and an aftermarket pipe and you'll like the difference. Yeah low to mid power is a little slow out of the gate but the pipe change helps, also you may want to look at the gearing depending on the course you run. I change gearing depending on where we run out here. For a long course like the Parker 250 I like a taller rear for more top but for some WORCS style courses I like smaller front for more bottom end hit and the holeshot and hard pull out of the corners. Also one huge difference I have noticed which has little to do with what we are talking about here is changing the rear axle to a 4" wider set up. The Raptor sits high and by stretching everything out front and back it brings the CG down which will allow you to whip it in and out of the woods a little faster. Anyway sorry for the long reply...just my opinion. Of course I am partial to the west coast so I would say go to Trinity Racing on the web..check it out and talk with there tech dept. They'll have your Raptor breathing fire and also be very dependable. Good luck this year and be safe..as a friend of mine says - "you don't know how fast you can go until you fall down" :D

http://www.loopd.com/members/dmrmotorsports/Default.aspx

Jimmy

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jimmy, thanks for the link; awesome pics and vids. That open terrain looks dang fun to race through. As far as the +4 axle...I wish, most of the terrain around here is much too tight to be that wide.

Carolina, I've heard good things about the Sparks, but I've also heard it's loud. It's probably too loud for me. My race series was looking at a 99db sound limit this year and everyone screamed bloody-murder and the organizer raised it to 101db. Way I see it is that it's just a matter of time before the 99db is the rule so I'm shooting for an exhaust that can meet that mark.

I checked the Rossier Engineering website and they list a complete system for the 700R. I'm gonna email them some questions I have. I noticed their muffler is tuneable with Supertrapp discs, I like the ability to tune my exhaust sound output as well as torque curve with the nuber of discs used.

Chris

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Yes the Leo Vince I have heard is a nice set up. In reality, although I am sure I am going to get hammered here after saying this. You don't have to change the efi controller on the Raptor. My point is if you are just going to run a pipe and leave the airbox on and covered and have no additional mods to the motor your fine. The efi controller really makes a difference when you have engine mods like cams and a new piston or modify the airbox. Run the race gas(not too high) with aftermarket air filter with the lid on and an aftermarket pipe and you'll like the difference. Yeah low to mid power is a little slow out of the gate but the pipe change helps, also you may want to look at the gearing depending on the course you run. I change gearing depending on where we run out here. For a long course like the Parker 250 I like a taller rear for more top but for some WORCS style courses I like smaller front for more bottom end hit and the holeshot and hard pull out of the corners. Also one huge difference I have noticed which has little to do with what we are talking about here is changing the rear axle to a 4" wider set up. The Raptor sits high and by stretching everything out front and back it brings the CG down which will allow you to whip it in and out of the woods a little faster. Anyway sorry for the long reply...just my opinion. Of course I am partial to the west coast so I would say go to Trinity Racing on the web..check it out and talk with there tech dept. They'll have your Raptor breathing fire and also be very dependable. Good luck this year and be safe..as a friend of mine says - "you don't know how fast you can go until you fall down" :D

http://www.loopd.com/members/dmrmotorsports/Default.aspx

Jimmy
i have to disagree with the controller.. the raptor is allready on the lean side from the factory stock.. so adding a slip on will only make it leaner.. a controller should be one of your first investments in my book.. even with the lid on and your s/a out your still going to get more air in and out of your motor...

and also for the record i have heard nothing but bad things from trinity racing for the most part.. way over priced on lots of things.. there are alot better builders out there then them.. just my 2

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
i have to disagree with the controller.. the raptor is allready on the lean side from the factory stock.. so adding a slip on will only make it leaner.. a controller should be one of your first investments in my book.. even with the lid on and your s/a out your still going to get more air in and out of your motor...

and also for the record i have heard nothing but bad things from trinity racing for the most part.. way over priced on lots of things.. there are alot better builders out there then them.. just my 2
+1 Downfour is a veteran he knows what he's talking about. As far as race fuel making your bike run rich...uhhh ok, I don't see how thats gonna work but hey whatever. I just bought the Ron Wood single exhaust its about $470 from TQS and its great! Its pretty loud but they do have a disc style sound blocker/spark arrestor but it runs for $180, so with the two combind tis almost as much as duals. Its ceramic coated and a really nice piece of pipe. I've been told that its THE best single for raptors.

Heres a couple links

http://techquadshop.com/joomla/inde...ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Humboldt, that's a good looking pipe.

Yes, higher octaine has the effect of richeing the fuel/air ratio, check it out, it's true.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i am running a white brothers setup atm. i like what it did for performance. I gained performance all in low and mid with s/a in. And with the spark arrestor removed i gained alot of top end. I am looking to sell my white brothers system to go to duals if you are interested at all. it is the full alumapro system. and they claim on the exhaust shootout that there is no problem running it on a stock engine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Probably the only one who will say this but i got the big gun full system and i knew it wasnt the best for me (still isnt) but it came on the bike so. After takeing the bike to the dyno i was very impressed with the pipe and suporting mods. Duals are what i need though.:thumb:

Not to argue with anyone but I agree totaly that the pcIII alone does absolutly nothing untuned. But when you notice the difffrence is When you get the bike dialed in. The dyno chart started out at 36hp and thats what i ended up with after some much needed leaning. Power commanders map was nowhere close.It would be like puting a pipe on a yfz and not rejeting it. Can be done but the benifits wouldnt be as great.

The other mods i got are a curtis sparks intake, PcIII and the full big gun. An ignition and cam will take care of about 80% or my top end. And tb boreing is after that just to get a little more. After that its all about the motor.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those are good number 711. You bring up a good point, maybe I should not do anythhing until I can find a dyno in my area. Not one here that I know of.

How hard are the fuel controllers to tune? I can tune a carb pretty good, but something like the PCIII has too many adjustments, it could get pretty hard in a hurry.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Humbolt, what fuel controller are you using with your Ron Woods pipe? Does TQS sell a "3 mod" package that includes the proper fuel map to make it go? Does Ron Wood have a map for their pipes? I was looking at Leo Vince, but like the ceramic and the disc option. And for the price of the italian titanium system I can nearly get all the big 3 in top quality stuff.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey Humbolt, what fuel controller are you using with your Ron Woods pipe? Does TQS sell a "3 mod" package that includes the proper fuel map to make it go? Does Ron Wood have a map for their pipes? I was looking at Leo Vince, but like the ceramic and the disc option. And for the price of the italian titanium system I can nearly get all the big 3 in top quality stuff.

A friend has the Leo Vince system on his z400, it seems to be quality.

It's also amazingly quiet!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Hey bro I would not do the big three package from steve. Nothing wrong with steve, I would just buy the exhaust you want separate from steve and then the FCI intake from steve which should be ready to buy soon...I hope. I have the dynatek FI control which steve does not have but you can find it lots of places. its pretty user friendly. I think if you have no dyno available it will be the best way to go. I have not dialed mine in yet so I don't know how easy it is to do so but, It only has 4 nobs so it can't be that bad.

·
Registered
31 Posts
well remember that I desert race like Baja...Best in The desert...whiplash that kinda stuff so what I do and alot of the guys I race with probably don't apply to what you guys do. If we bored out our motors no matter what shop did it...it would blow up in about oh 50 miles into our race. You have to realize we run 250 - 1100 mile races. We build our bikes to be extremely bulletproof. In the Baja at night in the middle of nowhere you don't wanna brake down. That being said I think it's great watching what everyone does on the forum and all the different results we get. It all depends on what you want as an end result. NHRA drag car motors (dune racers) are not the same as 24 hr of Le Mans (desert) racers which are also alot different then flatrack TT guys. My response is based on my experience racing across many many many many miles of desert at very slow and very high speeds...have a great week everyone. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts