Modded Raptors Forum banner

SLEEVE OR NOT TO SLEEVE, THAT IS THE QUESTION!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SLEEVE OR NOT TO SLEEVE, THAT IS THE QUESTION!

Please offer opinons and or suggestions.

·
Registered
964 Posts
You gotta give us some more information than just "sleeve or not" or "Best piston" You need to tell us what youre looking at doing and what kind of power you want and longevity and all that stuff.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
If you get the crank ballance it!!!

Do a Sleeve. I just dont trust the Nicasil coating. My low hour 07 was already wearing off. If you do a sleeve you dont have to worry about it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I wasnt sure about nikasil either, but it is a carbite based substance that is actually harder than an iron sleeve. I dont see any reason why it would wear through unless you didnt break the bike in properly and revved it cold. Theres nothing wrong with sleeves though.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I wasnt sure about nikasil either, but it is a carbite based substance that is actually harder than an iron sleeve. I dont see any reason why it would wear through unless you didnt break the bike in properly and revved it cold. Theres nothing wrong with sleeves though.
Because it's possible to flake...... so you have to trust someone with the job they did coating it, kinda of like trusting a painter and his paint not flaking, or a powder coater.... etc. An Iron sleeve is a big hunk of metal, not gonna flake, just gotta hope the installer installled it correctly

·
Portsculptor
2,604 Posts
I have seen alot of the Yamaha applied Nickel seal thats worn through(Suzuki too) and will say that the aftermarket Nickel Seal is stronger but is still only as stable as the parrent material its bonded to which is the aluminum cylinder. It has its advantages but a properly installed sleeve has more advantages overall.

·
Portsculptor
2,604 Posts
BTW, I dont keep my way of installing a sleeve a secret- I just dont tell very many people lol.

·
R.I.P. Coop
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And I have not spoken to anyone about how you do this... here on the MODDED-RAPTOR... your method is safe with me, Bo!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts