Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i want a good powerfull all around ratio that will boost the top mph by a couple and still give some lower end. anyone can help me?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well honestly your gonna have to choose top end or low end.

14 Tooth is great for top end and makes the gears a bit longer.
12 Tooth is great for bottom end but makes gears shorter and I suggest staying
away from 12 if you get into 5/6th gear regularly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i see i think ill go with the 14tooth but you dont think i should do anything with the back sprocket?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
so i want a good powerfull all around ratio that will boost the top mph by a couple and still give some lower end. anyone can help me?
Depends on what tires you are running also.

·
Registered
796 Posts
tire overall size and wieght as well as wheel weight play a large role in how well an engine pulls a particular gear. Engine efficiency also plays a role. The easiest way is to get a couple of different sprockets and try them out. but generally speaking dropping the front 1 tooth or rasing the rear 2 or 3 will "gear" more torque into the engine and you will find that it is actually faster on the top end as well as the bottom end. This logic pertains to a generally stock engine, ie intake/exhaust/correct air/fuel ratio.

·
Registered
305 Posts
good info here

·
Registered
16 Posts
I want to eventually gear mine for a little more torque, but don't want stump-pulling like power. One tooth in the front is like three in the back. The closer the size of the two sprockets together will mean more top speed, less torque, power down low. I plan to go to a 12 in the front and down one on the back as well, fore technically 2 tooth difference. I would really go up two on the back, but I want to make sure I have plenty of skid plate clearance, and I won't replace just one sprocket, without replacing both and the chain for wear reasons. I'm going to give my stock stuff a little while longer, then change 'em all. I thought about going to 22s for more ground clearance, but don't know how that would effect my gear ratio or MX performance....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts