Modded Raptors Forum banner

The Great Debate

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  oregondunerider 
#1 ·
I typed this up as a reply to a thread on another, non Raptor Forum forum ...

The running-mods-without-an-aftermarket-fuel-controller-discussion is the great debate when it comes to the Raptor 700. I have an opinion on it but rather than just posting information that could potentially harm someone's quad I decided to contact Yamaha Sport Customer Relations and ask them. Attached is a transcript I typed while I was on the phone:

Me: "Is an aftermarket fuel controller required to prevent a lean air/fuel condition on a Raptor 700 that is stock other than a GYT-R slip on muffler?

Yamaha customer relations tech: "Using an aftermarket fuel controller is not recommended."

Q: "Why is it not recommended?"

A: "Yamaha does not recommend using aftermarket parts on Yamaha products."

Q: "OK. Yamaha does not recommend using aftermarket parts. Will adding a GYT-R slip on muffler create a lean air/fuel mixture requiring me to figure out a way to compensate for it using Yamaha parts?

A: "The factory fuel controller will be able to handle it."

Q: "I've read that dealerships can perform some sort of flash reprogramming to the fuel controller that will adjust the lean air/fuel condition created by adding GYT-R mods. Why would that be necessary if the factory fuel controller is able to handle factory modifications?

A: "I've never heard of authorized flash reprogramming of fuel controllers."

So there you go. My take on it: If you stick with GYT-R parts you do not need a different fuel controller. GYT-R (Yamaha) sells all sorts of mods that can change the air/fuel ratios (intake, various air filters, pipes, slip ons, quiet tips, etc.). It does not sell a different fuel controller. There is a reason for that.

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm sorry, I'm going to have to call bullshit. That is just the standard company line of BS about aftermarket parts. One of the guys I ride with has an '07 that he bought with a GYTR filter kit and the GYTR slip-on, but no fuel controller. It was lean as sh!t. He put a PC3 on it and the guy he bought the bike from was all pissed that it was faster than his new KTM (which he sold the raptor to buy). So I'm sorry, but I'm not buying it.

#5 ·
+1 on that. i mean what would the difference between full aftermarket and a full gtyr exhaust?

#7 ·
It wasn't a dealership telling me that. It was Yamaha.

Feel free to call BS all you want. It's what I was told. And makes sense to me.

But, please, by all means: go with your own theories as I'm not all-knowing, and don't pretend to be. I'm just quoting the source. My source was this:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/contactus/home.aspx

Sport Contact Us

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
6555 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630

Sales, marketing and distribution of Motorcycles, ATVs, Snowmobiles and Race Kart Engines.

Customer Relations
(800) 962-7926

#8 ·
I have a bone stock 08, but not for long, and the dealer told me that all the machine will compensate for is the removal of the airbox cover. Anything else will cause it to run lean. I removed the airbox cover and went riding, as it started getting dark I noticed my headpipe glowing bright orange. I replaced the airbox cover until i can get a PCIII and it is fine.

#9 ·
These things are calibrated lean from the factory in order to pass emissions. The stock computer doesn't compensate for jack, guys are getting power increases with nothing more than a PC3, what does that tell you?

#10 ·
i ran my 06 for a while with just a gytr slip on and intake and it ran ok.....my brother had an identical bike with a procircuit slip on and gytr intake and u could tell it had a flat spot in the powerband......from being lean.....yes it still ran, but for how long?!?!?!
u will be so much happier with a programmer....

#11 ·
I build and tune these things and Im here to tell ya its not happening. The Yamaha "rep" is reading what to answer to your questions and has probably never had a screw driver in his/her hand. One simple reason why it doesnt self adjust:
There is no feedback loop for the computer to know how the engine is running weither its rich or lean. If it can self adjust then first it has to recognize it needs adjustment.:thumb:

#12 ·
ya for one if the machine were able to compensate for an intake or exhaust it would have to have a maf sensor and an o2 sensor and the raptor has neither. Like a couple others said yamaha wants you to buy there product and when it breaks take it to them. All you have to do is add an intake and exhaust and run it for a couple months and you'll find out. And the other benifit of the fuel controller is to be able to run the engine at the perfect afr and without a fuel control you are not able to do this thus not being able to take full advantage of the intake or exhaust.

#13 · (Edited)
The 700R can adjust for air temp and air pressure and that's it. That's how you can run from sea level to about 7000 ft. beyond that it can not compensate. The marketing rep you talked to was flat wrong. When you buy a new quad and work the GYT-R pipe and filter into the deal they do in fact re flash the ECU and add approx 8- 10 % fuel to the entire curve....how do I know? I have watched it be done right at the Yamaha dealership and only a select few have the tools to do it, but this is far from an optimum tune. You can debate this all day long....but your contradicitng what has already been proven, and that's that a fuel controller is needed to get the most out of the hard earned dollars you spent on your mods. Why would you want to even bother modding a bike if your not going to tune it properly?

Randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.