Modded Raptors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about trading in my 2013 raptor 700se. I'm thinking of trading it in for a 2014 yfz450. I'm just wondering about what's better. Like which is faster, what's a better ride, and what's better for trail riding? Any advice?

·
Registered
40 Posts
if your a bigger guy the 700 is going to be better but if your a average built guy that is agile the 450 is going to be better the 450 is lighter and quicker more power the 700 is more about torque for trail riding i like the raptor because you get in any heavy mud or a situation that you just need that extra torque the 700 provides that but on wide open trails the 450 would ride better it depends on preference

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing I'm having a hard time understanding is the power difference. I know that the 450 is a racing machine but it just doesn't have a bigger engine than the 700. What does the 450 have that is suped up in it? Is it the extra valve?

·
Registered
203 Posts
The thing about a 450 is the short stroke and very short, light weight piston. They rev to the moon and like being there. But because of that, it's also their downfall. The 450 piston has very short and narrow skirts on the piston. That combination causing faster cylinder and ring wear and the piston becomes floppy in the cylinder. That's why Yamaha will tell people to do the top end after 30hrs. If you like riding hard all the time, then you would be happy with a 450. As soon as you slow down and cruise, the ride of the 450 becomes rather harsh and that stiff seat becomes noticeable. I have owned honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha 450's. All act the same, ride hard and they are smooth, slow down and they are stiff.

·
Registered
105 Posts
High maintenance on the 450's. They are thoroughbred race machines and need plenty of maintenance. Another downfall...oh, and no reverse. Total deal breaker, lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.