Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello rappy people,

I have just bought barker duals and a PCIII for my 2008 700R... I am running stock air filter with the lid off... Also, the motor is stock... The guys at fuelmoto said they would send my PCIII with the right map on it... My questions are as follows:

1. To get a true plug reading do you need to cut off the engine at full or almost full throttle?

2. I need a quick course on PLUG READING 101... Lean = this color Rich = this color and so on?

3. Any other advice in regards to being a NOOB at PCIII'n.....

I just don't want to damage my rappy by not knowing what the hell I'm doing... Capiche...

Your help is greatly appreciated...

Chad

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I'm sure others will be able to help ya out more than my $.02 but.... light = lean....dark = rich

My hubby does all of our PCIII'n so I can't help ya there

·
Registered
248 Posts
I am not a "expert dyno super tuner" I have tuned my own turbo nissan 2.0L using my own wideband and piggyback greddy emanage. Never used dyno, I estimate HP @230-250HP, and has about 40K miles on setup, 0 issues.

Check this link out for starters
Tech Info - Spark Plugs Overview

Check this link out about reading plugs
Frequently Asked Questions

#1 - you are looking for any possible plug damage / deposits - silver deposits are bad(this is your piston vaporizing into molten allum droplets), and you might need a magnifying lens to see properly (x10 power). If you "see" speckles on insulator with naked eye way too lean / too much timing. Need Wideband AF and or dyno to confirm which.

As far as shutting off the engine at WOT, not sure on this. The highest combustion pressures should occur at the highest timing advance during heavy engine load at med-high rpms, not at idle. This is where plug damage and coloring will occur. I have never checked a plug that idled for 10 minutes, it probably would not show anything for color. Run the hell out of it for a bit, pull the clutch, shut it off, check the plug.

#2 - see above links at NGK's website

#3 - Fuelmoto has their crap together - they will send you a map that is "close" and I would confirm this during plug readings. Check out the power commander website, i downloaded like a million maps for 700R using PCIII. It is around the support section where you download the software. In the software, the help files are pretty decent.

Keep it a little rich! - I have a 3-mod setup and run 91 octane, using stupid HMF fuel optimizer (praying for PCIII!) I have never had issues, due to lack of adjustability. When you use a PCIII there is more adjustment and can get you into trouble faster. I would use fulemoto map as baseline, adjust +/- on their map, save as different file, and do plug checks. Without AF monitoring and or dyno, you can get it close to max butt-dyno HP but not as exact as a roller-dyno. I personally don't care about dyno sheets, only thing that matters is your out in front. The dyno helps "tweak" every last drop out. I don't have a 100HP raptor, nor will I. At my power level, Seat-Of-Pants / Butt-Dyno is OK for me, as I pass everyone I ride with! Power without control and skills = just power, not trophies or bragging rights.

Someone else will say, "just use fuelmoto's map and 89-91 octane, and git-r-dun!" and will probably work fine for many years, I am just a geek!

My $.02

Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
248 Posts
most fuelmoto customers say their maps are "very close", I have never dealt with them.

Other raptorsites say the same thing, "very close"

Not to mention, they will send you a new map when you ask them, after future mods.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS...

Thanks for the help everyone...

I'm gonna hook that PCIII up and error on the rich side as I listen to those Barker's roar....

Thanks Steve @ TQS and Keith @ Fuel Moto for hookin a rappy rider up...

Peace

:beerchug:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts