Modded Raptors Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The engineers at Yamaha seemed to only put a 2-1 ratio as far as what the stock Raptor motor will take. So pushing past that just gets really really expensive.
2-1 meaning horse power to cubic inch ratio. Sense we cater to the dailey rider crowd we try and stick close to that ratio.

Understanding horse power to cubic inch. A 686cc raptor is 41.86 ci most big cc stuff 780cc-907cc range from 47.60-55.35 ci.

The average stock Raptor with a turbo puts out 2.14 hp per ci at 1 bar. Thats right in line with most stock engines that are designed non turbo then turbocharged. Most range 1.6-2.29 per ci at 1 bar. Not bad considering a single makes a usable exhaust pulse once every 720 degs.

A stock Raptor is .91 to 1.07

A 3 mod 1.19

7 mod sb/ss 1.50-1.55

under 750cc drag Raptors 1.95-2.10 The 2.10 was a sb/ss carbed build.

over 750cc drag Raprors 1.76-1.84

The K&T Raptor is said to be around 3.24-3.6 not sure mostly rumors as far as size and power.

Other comparisons

A stock GSXR1000 is 3.11

NHRA top fuel dragster 16

NHRA pro stock 2.90-3.0

F1 90ci cars 12-15

Most of the 4-6 stuff is small ci per cyl super high rpm stuff. What they make in hp they don't have in torque. The rest is full drag stuff.

All of this is based on peak power. Really a small part of the over all picture.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I tend to stay out of things like this but each builder in this sport does things a bit different because they have figured out what works for them. English builds some great turbo cars(been there raced one) , bikes, and a wicked truck. The D7 guys have built around what works for them and me since I don't just drag race I like to enjoy all aspects of duning am I the fastest ? Sometimes . There is always something faster with deeper pockets but typically it is a dedicated drag or hill build.

Personally I would think that Instead of trying to give "mouth hugs" to one builder and talk shit to another , be glad that there are many that keep doing the R&D to make them bigger badder and faster

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
This is an old dyno sheet from 2007 or 08. It was our first try at making big power also when we discovered the stock fuel pump was only going to give so much. Runs out of fuel at 6800 rpm 125 hp and 95 ft lbs.. After we changed the fuel system it pulled clean to 8500 rpm with no drop off. STOCK CAM, Follow the curve past 6800 with no drop off and you get the idea.
The problem was at the time it was only good for 3-5 passes and needed a new crank, wrist pin ,and piston.. We shelved it till last summer when we added the best parts we could build and afford. It had our version of a turbo cam in. We gained a 35% increase in overall power and pulled clean to 10,000 rpm . That motor never ,made it out of the dyno room.
After putting a pencil to it we decided we just don't have the financial capability to make this happen. I have the upmost respect for the guys who build and race. It's a huge financial and heart breaking task at times.

Sorry I will not list mods or specs, Nor the dyno sheets that followed. It is a similar set up to our one and only drag kit we ever sold

·
Registered
5 Posts
****** ...While been a troll you missed the entire point...And it has nothing to do with a cam. Here is what you left out when you just posted the video.
O shit you are right i did leave that out. That being said, their bike not only beat you it also didn't blow up? I get it now....

·
Registered
502 Posts
Good one. Now hurry along you're going to be late for kindergarten.

Lets get back to why 2much boost bought this miracle turbo cam and lost 15 ish hp....

·
Registered
466 Posts
2 cams babygurl and lost big power :( I only didn't get slapped once in the face but twice!

This Dipshit Gringotegra obviously knows nothing but how to run his mouth. Judging from his name I'm guessing he's stealing wifi at the moment to Chime in from his taco stand with just another guess...which pulls his taco stand is an Acura :tongue:

·
Registered
331 Posts
O shit you are right i did leave that out. That being said, their bike not only beat you it also didn't blow up? I get it now....
how about a bike with a blown head gasket still doing fairly well against another turbo build and a built KFX?

How does your turbo build compare ? I assume you have an english built one or you really want one.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Ive seen a handful of JVR/D7 bikes in my day and some run better then others I admit that, My point is ive seen numerous. I've seen several vds yrs ago English used to post of there 2 close friends bike and there Personal FULL OUT LIGHT WEIGHT DRAG ONLY bike. Yes the thing is damn fast with a ton of time and money into it also with a full standalone. D7 offers a bolt on and go system where English would like to basically tune your bike hands on for you. So unless you live local it doesn't do any good to ANYONE that lives out of state or how ever far away. The dude in PR that Aaron says used some of there stuff looks to of used there intercooler and that's about it. As far as the cam ive spoke to 5 + people that have ran them and took them out because they didn't perform like they were claimed to perform. Maybe its tuning issues etc etc. But bottom line was it didn't just drop in and add 8-15 hp. Heads has to be cut which a lot of people don't understand the process that is etc etc. English seem like great guys and Yes THERE personal bike seems to run with the best of them. Cheers to them and taco maker I mean Gringotegra.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will leave this one at this, I have 2 ER turbo Raptors and love them both. One has a stock motor (105whp Uncorrected actual rear wheel horsepower) and the other one is SBSS with a rod making 130+whp. Every time i go to the dunes, i see a few D7 turbo bikes out there but none of them seem to want to race. The guys that i do get to race can never compare to the ER turbo bikes.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I ran the orange bike up banshee hill with my wife's bike last year at the rally selective memory maybe who knows we were out for pictures at sunset after the group shoot there was a red and black one out two think you may have played with it as well wife's was a pink D7 three mod

Fast bike but nothing special you know as they all say a three mod will beat it

Nice bikes though!!!

Way to not get involved

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
I will leave this one at this, I have 2 ER turbo Raptors and love them both. One has a stock motor () and the other one is SBSS with a rod making 130+whp. Every time i go to the dunes, i see a few D7 turbo bikes out there but none of them seem to want to race. The guys that i do get to race can never compare to the ER turbo bikes.

First off you have two really clean builds. And you are happy with them thats great.....But everyone has several of those race storys. Not everyone wants to race all the time. But to imply as you just did that our product is sub standard is just propaganda plain and simple.
The fact is both our standard kits English / D7 Racings...... psi to psi on stock builds are super close in power and torque.

As far as the problem with the two cams go I'm staying out of that. I do understand what is happening and if boost wants to contact me thats fine. But I will keep my thoughts on the subject off the net.

Sense you brought it up Racing that is....The second video that I posted is your 130+whp orange and white Raptor racing our white Raptor in 2011 at the Rally. You guys swapped wins allot. The white quad is still what we call a 90 h/p build the same kit we sell to everone. You obviously were set up and tuned better for Oregon. As we are when people come to our hill. You always got the hole shot on him again set up was much better then ours for the area.
But as you can see in the video and how it was every race you raced with him. He pulled you hard on the big end. Thats horse power so if your 130+ and he's 90 then why was he pulling you on the big end. Maybe you were having a worse day then him that day. He had a blown head gasket and tranny problems. It's racing there are good days and bad days

Your 130+ (whp Uncorrected actual rear wheel horsepower) was that day tuned by a professional to there standards. Not what you were getting to the ground at the Rally that day. Not what you would get at a different dyno in Denver Co. in July.
That is why corrected horse power and a correct way to dyno was brought forth by the people that make the dynos. Manufactures and builders wanted a way to test and compair products to see if there was an actual differences in a controlled environment.

Anything beyond that is just a internet measuring contest that were all guilty of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First off you have two really clean builds. And you are happy with them thats great.....But everyone has several of those race storys. Not everyone wants to race all the time. But to imply as you just did that our product is sub standard is just propaganda plain and simple.
The fact is both our standard kits English / D7 Racings...... psi to psi on stock builds are super close in power and torque.

As far as the problem with the two cams go I'm staying out of that. I do understand what is happening and if boost wants to contact me thats fine. But I will keep my thoughts on the subject off the net.

Sense you brought it up Racing that is....The second video that I posted is your 130+whp orange and white Raptor racing our white Raptor in 2011 at the Rally. You guys swapped wins allot. The white quad is still what we call a 90 h/p build the same kit we sell to everone. You obviously were set up and tuned better for Oregon. As we are when people come to our hill. You always got the hole shot on him again set up was much better then ours for the area.
But as you can see in the video and how it was every race you raced with him. He pulled you hard on the big end. Thats horse power so if your 130+ and he's 90 then why was he pulling you on the big end. Maybe you were having a worse day then him that day. He had a blown head gasket and tranny problems. It's racing there are good days and bad days

Your 130+ (whp Uncorrected actual rear wheel horsepower) was that day tuned by a professional to there standards. Not what you were getting to the ground at the Rally that day. Not what you would get at a different dyno in Denver Co. in July.
That is why corrected horse power and a correct way to dyno was brought forth by the people that make the dynos. Manufactures and builders wanted a way to test and compair products to see if there was an actual differences in a controlled environment.

Anything beyond that is just a internet measuring contest that were all guilty of.

My bike in that video had a stock motor making 100whp with a 6 arm at that and i weigh 235lbs.

i have since upgraded it and it now makes the same horsepower as the English Racing bike in the first video in this thread.

My bike @ SAE Corrected @ 4500ft would probably make 140-150whp. If i remember right PIPO's bike was supposed to be 120whp on your dyno and when it went to English's dyno it only made 100whp.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Plane and simple Bob see you will never be as good as them or as knowledgeable as a tuner!!!!!

you should just be happy with them copying your turbo kit and that's that

·
Registered
1 Posts
My bike in that video had a stock motor making 100whp with a 6 arm at that and i weigh 235lbs.

i have since upgraded it and it now makes the same horsepower as the English Racing bike in the first video in this thread.

My bike @ SAE Corrected @ 4500ft would probably make 140-150whp. If i remember right PIPO's bike was supposed to be 120whp on your dyno and when it went to English's dyno it only made 100whp.
pipos bike had the turbo cam correct me if i am wrong

·
Registered
6 Posts
pipos bike had the turbo cam correct me if i am wrong
It did have a turbo cam, It also picked up with the cam.

Thread is here:

Some English Racing Love on a D7 turbo kit E85 and a Cam - Raptor Forums: Yamaha Raptor Forums

Per Lucas English:

"So a few weeks ago we had the chance to play with one of Bob's kits. I am really liking the simplicity of the oilless turbo.

When he 1st showed up we pulled it out of his truck and dynoed it just how it came in. The fueling looked pretty close. The boost was down some. We cranked the boost as high as we could and got 104whp or so on race gas. He then left the bike with us and we did a PCV conversion so we could tune it.

After the conversion we filled it up with E85 and I did a retune and gained our normal 4-6hp just from the fuel.

We then installed our stage 3 turbo cam. I was a bit worried we might not see our normal gains since we were running the turbo maxed out, but as normal our cam on E85 did its normal 8-10hp.

Starting with the race gas we had tightened the waistgate on the turbo down and had pulled the wg line off so the turbo was running at max boost. All runs were in the 16-19psi range.

Just like our cars while we have our preferred turbo kits and mods we will tune and work with anybodies stuff and we will work our hardest to max out any combo."

41 - 60 of 90 Posts