Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Making wheelies
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don’t know much about the motor like the crank and the piston + this and + that.
My question is would I get more HP in just replacing the piston? Then I wouldn’t have to split the case witch I don’t want to do.
Would it make that much of a difference? Would it be worth it not changing the crank? If it did give me more HP how much would it be? And if I did it I would like to still use pump gas.
It probably depends on a lot of different things but I was just wondering in general.
Can anyone give me a bit of info on this, any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
511 Posts
You can stay stock Bore 102mm or go Big bore 105(727)-105.5(734) and not have to crack open the cases.. Hp levels will depend on dyno.. Dont go over 11:1 if you want to run Pump gas..

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I think it all depends on how much HP you are looking for.. I think you could see 75-80+ with a built big-bore! much more with a stroker... it all depends on how much head, cam, and compression you are comfortable with..

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
well he wants to run pump gas so that narrows it down to 11:1 compression. The answer to your question is yes....doing a piston swap is worth it especially since u already have a Hotcam stage 2. It would compliment it nicely, the 11:1 piston and an ignition would be a very good investment. I LOVE MY 7 MOD SETUP

·
Making wheelies
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Piston = Good // On to other stuff?

Thanks guys!
I’ve searched around the web to fine so many different answers. So it’s nice to be able to ask you professionals my futile questions.
This has got me all geeked up and wanting to get 11:1 piston that I seen on Steve’s Tech Quad Shop site.
It has me thinking that if I’m going to have this apart that I might as well check the sponsors site Racers Edge about porting and polishing, I don’t know. Then in a couple of post up Buck was talking about an ignition. I don’t know much about ignitions so I would have to research that like crazy (I like to know how things work because I’m new to all this; Cant you tell…lol). I don’t even know if I should be messing around with the piston and if I got the head ported and polished then wouldn’t I have to take out the springs? Just little stuff like that. It all looks easy in the manual and I don’t know how it compares to switching out a cam but I am sure willing to try. Sorry I’m babbling, dose any of this make sense? Should I attempt all this? You guys seen my cam video, is it a piece of cake like that was?
Thank you very much…:rockon:

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
as far a head porting, I think your best bang for the buck is Bo White (Velociraptor). I believe he is charging $250 for his Track II porting, which is a big port for stock valves. Bo has this $250 special running for Christmas but, I think he is going to make this his everyday price. I know at least for the "Christmas special" he is willing to swap cams and springs included in the price. So you would be able to send Bo a complete head and you would get back a complete head.

Go with the piston from TQS for sure!

Ignition is a MUST with an aftermarket cam. It will allow your motor to use all the extra rpm horsepower that your cam will make. I have a NON programable ignition and it wworks fine but, a programable would give you just a little more power across the RPM range if tuned by someone who knows what they are doing (DL700)

Something also to think about would be head studs. They would allow your engine to hold a head gasket better and thus make your motor more reliable. These are about $130 and would be installed at the time your piston goes in.

Hope this helps

·
Making wheelies
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I sent my head out for a port and polish, ordered a 11:1 piston from Tech quad shop, and a programable ignition from DL700.
Thanks everyone for all the awesome info.
Now I guess I'll need a new map.

·
Making wheelies
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With 102mm 11:1 Piston witch octane do I have to run?
Or what is the lowest I can run?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sea level I would run premium with it. 2500 ft you might get even better results from mid grade. Premium would be the safe way to go though ;)
for folks in CO up at 5k, you could just run reg. They all run 12.1 on pump gas up there.

You are going to be happy with you setup! :)

·
Making wheelies
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sea level I would run premium with it. 2500 ft you might get even better results from mid grade. Premium would be the safe way to go though ;)
for folks in CO up at 5k, you could just run reg. They all run 12.1 on pump gas up there.

You are going to be happy with you setup! :)
Thanks for the info.
I just looked up my elevation in Michigan and I'm at 900 to 1000 feet above sea level.
I can't wait to get it all together!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have pretty much the same build you are doing (see sig) and am very happy with it. It is still happy trail riding, but when it comes time to lay the smack down, it's pretty happy doing that too.:lol:

Think about sending your throttle body to Kenny for a +2 bore while your top end is apart. Like the ignition, it's one more piece in the puzzle that lets everything work well together.

·
Making wheelies
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats a great package your going with Max it will rip for sure. enjoy
I have pretty much the same build you are doing (see sig) and am very happy with it. It is still happy trail riding, but when it comes time to lay the smack down, it's pretty happy doing that too.:lol:
:rockon:

·
Making wheelies
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW, just got it all together today and it rips!
Thanks everyone for your help.
I love my Raptor.

·
Making wheelies
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
maxsteel JUST being nosy but what was the total cost of what you had done and how much more power does it make
It wasn’t cheap! But man it was worth it.

·
Portsculptor
2,604 Posts
Glad ya love it. Hope it does you well in future engagements upon the competition!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts