Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Raptor 700 will not shift out of 2nd (or 3rd) gear. It won't shift either up or down :mad1: :wtf:
Question #1- What in the world could this be?

Question #2- How much (estimate) does this cost to fix?

Question #3- Should I have a dealer do the work or is there someone else that is reputable that you might suggest?

Please help!!!!!

·
KUNG FU SAND PANDA
2,060 Posts
I probably won't much help but a few more details might help with fixing it.

What were you doing when it wouldn't shift?

How long has it been not shifting?

Was there any noise when it first happened?

etc... etc... etc...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 16 year old nephew was trying to pull it into the garage for an oil change.

It sounded like a semi-loud "snapping" noise (it only did this once)

I rode it around trying to see if I could work it loose, but it was a no-go (clutch seems to be working just like it always has).

·
Super Moderator
5,646 Posts
Does not sound good. Check your linkage and make sure its not binding. Check the reverse cable and make sure there is no tention on it. Just by the sounds of it, you may be in for a total rebild. Look on the bright side, its time for a 70 hp beast!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does not sound good. Check your linkage and make sure its not binding. Check the reverse cable and make sure there is no tention on it. Just by the sounds of it, you may be in for a total rebild. Look on the bright side, its time for a 70 hp beast!
I'm down with that IF that's what needs to happen. One of my buddies said he thought it was a shifting fork....?

How much will this 70 hp beast cost? What all needs to be done?

·
Super Moderator
5,646 Posts
If money is tight you could have someone tear it down, freshen it up and replace the shift fork for maybe $500, but the big build would be around $2000+ depending on the options..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If money is tight you could have someone tear it down, freshen it up and replace the shift fork for maybe $500, but the big build would be around $2000+ depending on the options..

Do you think this $500 is a "dealer price"?

·
Super Moderator
5,646 Posts
Probably not, dealer prices are pretty inflated. I would find a reputable shop even if you have to mail the motor off to someone. No dealer will ever touch my bike..

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Do you think this $500 is a "dealer price"?

As a fellow WVU Fan and fellow West by God Viriginian I feel for ya. Word of advice...Listen to what the guru's around here have to say (I'm not one unfortunately) they know what they're talking about. However, on a side note I can say that if I were you I wouldn't take it in to a dealership unless absolutely necessary. They will overcharge the you to the max. I'm not too familiar with the Raptor tranny but I can say installing a piston and doing valve clearances was a snap (unless you drop a screw into the crankcase that is). I had never done either before but the guys around here helped me out bigtime.:thumb: Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the encouraging advice.....I'm still not sure just WHAT the problem is, but I intend to find out.

Do they have to split the cases if it is a shifting fork?

By the way....Let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Mountaineers!!!!!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would ckeck your shift shaft. I replaced a clutch in my 660 and the shift shaft slid out and it wouldn't allow the bike to shift.

·
Registered
263 Posts
ive had two friends that similar things have happened where they couldnt shift...one was a predator 500 and the other a yz450f...both were the shift forks and both did the work themselfs with the help of the service manuals...so my advice check the shift forks and go out and get a case of beer and get a buddy to help you out or soemthing if your not confident in yourself....what are friends for right????lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah yes, the good ol' "Diffusion of responsibility" aspect of friendship :lol:

So who on here wants to be my new friends (Beer supplied by yours truely) :beerchug::beerchug::beerchug: :hyper:

·
Registered
112 Posts
does the shifter move at all. Reason i ask is if the shifter moves a little it very well could be a shift fork if it doesnt move much then could possibly be the shift pin that rides in the shifting drum could have weged itself in there.It also could be like someone else said the shift shaft hitting the other side case becuase the reaining spring on the other side broke. So many varieble get a manual and tear into it. Key to working on it yourself is keep everything neet and lined up on the work bench. That way nothing get forgoten and its much easier to work when its neat and tiddy. Lay a bunch of towels out and put the parts on that. Either way youve got nothing to loose now at this piont. We all have faith though, right guys :thumb:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
does the shifter move at all. Reason i ask is if the shifter moves a little it very well could be a shift fork if it doesnt move much then could possibly be the shift pin that rides in the shifting drum could have weged itself in there.It also could be like someone else said the shift shaft hitting the other side case becuase the reaining spring on the other side broke. So many varieble get a manual and tear into it. Key to working on it yourself is keep everything neet and lined up on the work bench. That way nothing get forgoten and its much easier to work when its neat and tiddy. Lay a bunch of towels out and put the parts on that. Either way youve got nothing to loose now at this piont. We all have faith though, right guys :thumb:

+1 and get some baggies and a sharpie to label everything.. i would lay odds its your forks..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sawhorses and a sheet of plywood with a cheap/old white bed sheet works great for laying parts on. Keep the small parts in baggies as mentioned earlier. Also, you can use the sharpie to write notes on the bed sheet and always read ahead a few steps. Usually helps make more sense. Good luck!:rockit:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you ALL for all of the encouraging words and good advice!

I have not gotten a chance to start yet, but when I do, I will ask LOTS of questions and give LOTS of updates!!!!!

This is BY FAR the coolest forums of any kind I have EVER been to!!!!! Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts