Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Making wheelies
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I resently posted a video on YouTube of the Rap and a guy asked why I didn't get a YFZ450.
So it made me wonder, " why did I get a 700 instead of a YFZ?"
Why did you guys get your raptors instead of a YFZ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went with the raptor after reading numerous places they were more comfortable on longer rides, especially for taller guys like myself.
Reverse is nice too.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I want to be the guy in XC racing that succeded on a machine that no one thought could be raced competitively. Everyone Races 450s so I said im building a Raptor and Racing that! I started on a 660 in 2005 and have now owned 3 700s. Im hoping by the time im done Racing ive become a semi competitive A rider on my 700s. Next year marks a nice milestone in my books as ill become a regular in the PM Race at GNCCs and likely will be the only non 450 based machine out there!

Other than personal pride, i like the reverse and being only 125lbs or so the less effort i need to move that thing out of tight spots ill take, i also just like the power delivery of the 700s motor better, i can run it like 450 if i want or i can take it easy and just conserve my energy and cruise if needed. Overall i have ridden friends 450s before and i wouldent trade my Raptors for anything, unless it was a 250 Raptor to run Sport class, lol

·
Making wheelies
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Them are some awesome replys! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Went to the dealership to buy a yfz and got sold a raptor. In 07 the raptor had fuel injection, yfz didn't. Raptor had reverse, yfz doesn't. Multiple dealers told me the Raptor would be way better as a primary trail machine which I was buying it for and would be much more comfortable. Have not regretted it.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I originally got my 660 because it was a good deal. The reverse was nice, but I wasn't set on a Raptor when I first purchased it. While I had my 660, my husband bought and sold a 2006 Suzuki LTR 450 and a 2007 Honda 450R. After riding them and not being all that impressed, I didn't want to risk going through the 3rd 450 (YFZ) so when I upgraded, it was a no brainer that I wanted a Raptor 700. So now we both have Raptor 700's and haven't looked back since! (We also mostly do trail riding so the Raptor was a better choice.)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I actually sold my raptor 660 to get the yfz450 in 04. At the time it was a no brainer. I loved my 450. It IS a race machine though and was uncomfortable, no reverse, no FI, and was of course 450cc's.
Ended up getting a raptor 700 for a girl quad...LMAO. After getting it, I was alittle disappointed with my 450. I stripped all my high dollar components off and sold them away and put it up for sale. When it was for sale it was running an intake, jetting, cammod and stock can with sparky removed. We raced it against the bone showroom stock 700 and by third gear it was pullin it and just got more and more quad lengths after that. That, and while being much more comfortable and having reverse to turn around.
We soon after had two 2006 anniversary quads in the garage.

I like the 700 cause the sky is the limit on reliable mods. The 450, not so much. It gets harder and harder to eak much more power from them without costing a BUTT load of money and having a more and more unreliable build and a drag only type machine.
With the 700 we are seeing over 70hp on pump gas, and builds that will last forever and arent pushing the motors hard.
I have set my 700 up with ohlins full suspension and it handles/rides like a dream. I have moved to the 700 and have not looked back.

BUT to be honest, if I could afford it, I would own them both. Both great machines. Luckily I have my brothers to ride now an then.

The 700 IMHO is the best woods quad built and its a damn fine duner and might end up as popular as the banshee for the dunes.
The yfz is an awesome track machine, and is fun in the woods and dunes, but again in my opinion not near the machine the 700 is in those two locations.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I got the Raptor because I wanted FI and reverse. Only Suzuki and Raptor had Fi and only raptor had reverse in 07. Also because I am 6'4" 220 and feel way more comforable on the 700 Than any other bike I sat on. Have not had any second thoughts about it.
Now days the quad market is only getting better.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Got mine because it felt better ergonomically speaking than the 450 did and it had reverse.
same reason i got mine.. i'm not a very big guy but i allways felt like i was riding a 250 or something when on a 4fiddy..

·
Registered
823 Posts
Oh dang... Don't let Dick see this :lol:

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm a big guy and at 6'4 I felt like I was a monkey fkn a football on the 450 :lol:
I'm sure not 6'4 but am 6'1 and the 450 that I thought I wanted just felt small. My dirt bike would kill my back after a 1/2 hour, and the 450 felt just like it. But then I would walk over and sit on the 700 and WOW!! Felt sooo good:hail: This has been my first quad, and I have never thought about getting another one:thumb:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Im 6'3", everything I buy I usually have to put bar risers on (sleds, wheelers), the Raptor felt pretty good at stock height, I felt like I was sitting on a crotchrocket when I was on the YFZ and that is not how I want to ride... plus a buddy and I bought a package deal, 06 YFZ and 06 Raptor on an Ebay auction, my buddy likes the 450's better, isnt into modding that much, and is a bit shorter than me so the YFZ fit him well...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Fuel injection, torque, and reverse. Plus, 700 sounds cooler. :thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
owned a yfz450 and traded it for a 700, liked the ergonomics better for my height and weight...liked the torque. plus with my 700 i can beat most of them 450 guys now....its more of a do it all bike IMO

·
Portsculptor
2,604 Posts
I also went to the dealership to buy a 450 back in early 06 and left with the 700.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My first raptor was a an 05 660. My buddy had an 05 yfz450. His 450 was a fun quad but I found it uncomfortable too plus the lack of reverse I went with the 660. I traded the 660 and my 400 outlander a year later and bought my 800 outlander. Last spring when I decided to get another sporty it was a no brainer with the 700. I had rode several of them and felt the 700 was much better than the 660.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I got mine mainly cause it was a good deal. 4000 and its mine for an 08 in march 09. But i wanted reverse and fi was nice even tho it wasnt quite what i thought it was open loop not closed. But i am very happy with it. It hauls my 150 lb ass around very nicely. Lol. Will probably keep it till i cant ride anymore or total it. Lol

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I'm a big guy and at 6'4 I felt like I was a monkey fkn a football on the 450 :lol:
Same here, I'm 6'7", I also want reverse. These are the best quads I've ever owned.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts