Modded Raptors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 raptor 700. I think that my motor is seized, the bearings or something has locked up. My starter works. I got a brand new relay, and it just clicks, I took out the spark plug, and same thing. Just a clicking noise from the relay when I tried to start it, it won't turn over. Now I noticed the #12 engine code is flashing, that is the crankshaft position sensor. I'm wondering if that will prevent it from turning over, or if my motor is actually seized , and I'm also wondering how to correct this so it goes away and stops flashing. Any insight into this would be great, because I truly have no clue what I'm doing at this point.

-thanks jared

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Have I took that plug out of th side case yet and turned it over by hand. That will take all that guesswork crap out of It. Didn't I tell ya that on your last thread. These crank bearings are crap from the factory

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes you told me to but I can't find anything big enough for that plug, it's a 14mm hex head bit and I can't find that anywhere. How did you personally get it out? And I'm almost positive it's rebuild time, I just want to know if that code will go away when all is well or will it stay and prevent it from running

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took out the spark plug and tried to pop it into gear and just get it to turn over, it didnt it just skidded down the hill so if it won't turn over like that I think it won't turn over by hand

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
It won't. I use a 14 hex head lol. I'm a raptor mechanic I have tools. Use a chisel and a hammer or a flat he's screwdriver if u don't have a chisel and loosen it that way. It's either crankshaft or it broke a valve etc. usually the crank. Send it toe a let me build u a nice one

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope it's not a damn valve. Those are expensive as hell, I hope I just need to replace the bearings or something. I should be digging into the head tomorrow ill let you know if I find anything

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This idiot who had the quad before me keeps saying his "mechanic" who supposedly worked on the quad before thinks its the decompression mechanism, just to sort that out that isn't possible right? That doesn't even make sense he said that that is the reason that the piston froze?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If the mechanism is bad then it will turn over fine without a spark plug in it. And ur not gonna just replace bearings. You have to buy a crankshaft. And if you have to pay someone to do it since ur not a mechanic it will cost u 5-750 labor normally to have it replaced. A valve is 30.00 each but if that's it then it should turn over backwards until it hits the valve again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea see I knew it wasn't that thing, it doesn't even make any sense that it would be. If it was broke then it should turn over without the plug like u said, which it didnt. I will most likely be doing the crank myself and just having the bearings pressed on at my local shop. I'm just gunna take off the head tomorrow and see how it looks inside, see if any valves look messed up. Is there an email address or telephone number I could send pictures of the inside of the motor to BAMOTORSPORTS? I'm not sure if that would help you help me, if that's what you wanna do.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Ill help anyone. If any of my post sounded like a dick it's cuz I'm on my phone in my shop. There are no bearings pressed on the crank that u change. When u buy a crank the bearings and rod are already on it. There's one main bearing in the cases that u can replace for 35 bucks. If the bike is still on the factory cylinder then it probably has wear in the Nikasil. U can tell by it having white marks in it near the top. Usually front an rear of the cylinder. Number is 251 366 3254 and email is [email protected]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exactly what I thought, I've never worked with one of those decompression mechanisms before, will I know what it is when I see it? And is there an email or phone number I can send pictures of the inside of my engine to for help BAMOTORSPORTS?? Because ill obviously notice a bent valve or a seized crank or messed up piston, but I'm not sure what to look for in the decomp pin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey bamotorsport I just opened up the stator case and the starter gear looked like it was out of place and seemed to have locked everything up because my motor turns over fine now with the spark plug out and even I can turn it over with the spark plug in like trying to pop start it, but my starter still isn't able to turn over the motor, the relay just clicks. I took the starter out and it turned but my friend said it should have more force or something, any suggestions?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea 100% I charged it and then when I wanted to check to make sure I hooked my battery to my friends quad and started it right up, I just don't think the starter is good, or the gears in the starter. Like I said the gears seemed to be like loose and out of place or misaligned when I took of the stator side case

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh ok, we'll I'm not really sure what happend my motor is freed up and turns over fine when I push it, just not when I click the start button, like I said the relay just clicks. Time for a new starter maybe?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got it to start (pop started) had the worst knock that I've ever heard then it stopped again and won't turn over anymore, so I think it's a crank you're right. Just weird because it turned over fine had no problems

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.