Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run the below specs and was told to use full race synthetic oil MOTIL I use,
I just bought an L&L starter clutch and they said not to use synthetic oil ?
What do you guys run in your modded raptors ?
This is what the guy said from raptorstarterclutch.com, I have never ever heard of this.

"Nathan, we recommend not to use full synthetic oils because Yamaha's were not designed for them, way too slippery for the one way starter systems and clutches. You should have never of run FULL synthetic , semi sythetic is all you want to run... "

·
Registered
24 Posts
I run the semi synthetic yamalube and it seems to have worked pretty well so far, but then again my quad wouldn't be able to hold a candle to yours.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I know a lot of people over on the "other site" was running Rotella 5w40 without any problems. I don't see how the oil would effect the clutches like they say.

·
Registered
124 Posts
bel ray thumper is what i use in my 700 and it lasts for such a long time one of my friends ran thumper and kept up on changing it and maintenece and when he opened up his motor it was really clean

·
Registered
127 Posts
use full synthetic and nothing else. i use amsoil 10w40 in mine. never in my life have a heard any arguement why not to use a full synthetic oil in anything. anyone who tells you not to use it is retarded.
mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
I guess im a retard.... The shop that worked on all my atvs reccomended not using full synthetic for the same reason, it burns the clutches. No offense to anyone, but i will take my builders word.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have been lurking this thread and noticed it changed from "starter clutch" to "clutches".

So I have gone through 2 of these this year alone (stock ones). I am running Royal Purple full synthetic.

I am thinking that the people that are having the most probs are the:

Raptor 660's (cuz they have a stupidly engineered "One-Way Starter clutch") with a STROKER kit running full synthetic.

Anyone see that as a potential combo that is problematic?

Personally, I do see how synthetics could be an issue. The one-way is Chromolly (?) And depends on friction to work.

Right now my Raptor is down and I am looking at buying a performance one with a lifetime warranty. So please correct me if I am wrong (save me some money). :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
dont be a bunch of money wasters. i run NAPA brand 10 30. i got 6 years on my motor and she is still tight.ive only been through 1 clutch and i ride the dog piss out of her. i run the cheap stuff but change it very often.cheap clean oil is better than expensive dirty oil. keep it clean and fresh.the question should also ask how often do you change it. if you dont change your oil often then all the acids that are a biproduct of the combustion process build up in your oil and do their damage when you arent riding your bike but rather during all the time that it is sitting in your garage,eating away at your bearings, breaking down the surfaces and causing terminal failure when you actually ride it. throw that POS stock 1 way in the trash and pick up an L&A.

·
Registered
55 Posts
dont be a bunch of money wasters. i run NAPA brand 10 30. i got 6 years on my motor and she is still tight.ive only been through 1 clutch and i ride the dog piss out of her. i run the cheap stuff but change it very often.cheap clean oil is better than expensive dirty oil. keep it clean and fresh.the question should also ask how often do you change it. if you dont change your oil often then all the acids that are a biproduct of the combustion process build up in your oil and do their damage when you arent riding your bike but rather during all the time that it is sitting in your garage,eating away at your bearings, breaking down the surfaces and causing terminal failure when you actually ride it. throw that POS stock 1 way in the trash and pick up an L&A.
:lol: - I should have known back then. But I was in a rush to get it running again. As you know, I bought my second one off you this year :thumb: Thank you you are a great honest seller! :thumb:

·
Registered
200 Posts
:blahblah:

AMEN....I actually use the valvoline 4-stroke wet clutch oil but I refuse to pay for $ynthetic$ as it is COMPLETELY UNNECCESSARY!!!!!!!!!! Regardless of what oil you choose with regular scheduled oil and filter changes the engine using conventional will be just as good as the one using $ynthetic. Most of the manufacturers will tell you that if you call them and they make both conv and $ynthetic. If you call Amsoil or any other $ynthetic only company of course they say theres is the best. I don't like to be negative about things but $ynthetics serve no purpose short of costing more. In full drag race circumstances where thousanths of a second count then by all means $ynthetic it is but as for thrashing around in the woods (or sand for you west coasters) conventional oils work very well.:blahblah:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts