Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i went out today with my new Garmin gps and topped out at 111 km/hr(69mph) ...i wasnt too impressed and im thinking my fuel controller has to be a little rich and robbing me of some top end speed...im gonna go over my gearing to make sure im still running the 14t up front because i did buy the bike used and it may have come with some different gearing...gonna go out and buy the speed sensor illiminator kit to gain some top end also...do you guys think that running rich will rob top speed? what other things should i be looking at? 69 mph isnt too impressve to me i was at least expecting the 125 kmh marker(77.67mph)

btw...this top speed was achieved on a dirt road...i havent tried it on a paved highway yet as i dont really like to attract any unwanted attention...(police) local news papers have been really talking about the zero tolerance of atv's on local streets...

111km/hr top speed one person weighing in at 150lbs...
109km/hr top speed two people weighing in at 300lbs...

·
Registered
840 Posts
i havent tried since i got my new dmc duals but the last time i was on the road i hit 82mph on my vapor with 20in razr's and wasnt hittin the rev limmiter yet but very close i thought maybe could have hit 84-85

·
Registered
358 Posts
According to my GPS, I can hit right at 80 mph with stock gears and 22" rear tires. I do have a few mods including a dynatek ignition, which eliminates the 5th gear limiter.:thumb:

·
Kuwait All Stars
234 Posts
Top speed is now 140KLM (86.9 mph) paced by KTM exc 525 and a car along with GPS. I would like to know how can I bump that up to 100 mph. I think unless I dig into the engine I wont hit that speed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well im way far off...my numbers are real according to my garmin...69 mphs...no bull... im looking for more gonna get some new sprockets and chain and lean out my controller because its running too rich...id like to hit 80+ but i dont think thats realistic on a dirt road...maybe on pavement tho..

·
Registered
158 Posts
My GPS says I can't go any faster than 76 mph. I know I'm running rich though. I'm hoping the FCI intake will lean things out a bit. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I hit 92 on the dyno last week. Im right 60HP and 50TQ. I have really been able to take anywhere were I could open her up. If I did I dont have a way of telling me how fast i went. So im going with the dyno which said 92 with 18 inch dyno slick at 18 psi. WOODY

·
Registered
924 Posts
103mph on the dyno, so maybe 95-98 on the asphalt.... 61hp 54ftlb / TQ mine was with 19" slicks and 15/36 gearing

·
Registered
50 Posts
140mph.....yeah baby!!!
'08 Hollywood-Racing Diablo Raptor
We have some more to do and we are going for a record!!!

·
I am smarter than you....
2,051 Posts
i have no idea, maybe somewhere around 80 and i start floating and loosing control. but if you guys want to go that fast get a crotch rocket. it isnt how fast you go its how fast you get there. oh and im somewhere between 60 and 70 hp, at least until this weekend

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I recorded 76.6 mph on my Garmin with bone stock '07, changed sprockets but haven't had a chance to take another run. I do my speed runs on pavement.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Faster than I need to be going:eek::eek:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Faster than I need to be going:eek::eek:
Yeah, it gets kinda scary at that speed on pavement, probably would feel more stable on hard dirt.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
possible reasons for lost speed?

I recently went out with my gps looking for my fastest possible speed...i hit 111km/hr which i was looking for more... now my bike is a big 3 mod bike with a pro circuit Ti4 slip on with a velocity air intake and a cobra fuel controller... now my question is what will make you lose speed...I recently went over my bike and found the rear brake pads finished and the whole sprocket and chain setup to be worn...so i oredred some brake pads and a 15t renthal sproket and 38t rear...and a DID 520 O-ring chain...im also running my bike a little rich so im hoping to be running a bit better....do you guys think that ill see some gains this time around? also another question i have if your running wider will that make you slower aswell? i have 5" of additional width....is there anything else that will make you run slower?

·
Registered
123 Posts
700Rappy, Things that could cause you to loose speed would be;

Rotating mass (heavy wheel's and tire's, heavy axle, heavy sprocket)

terrain, (What are you riding on, Sand will slow you down and asphalt should help you go faster, Unless its sticky like a drag stripe. Then in may slow you down

Aerodynamics, (How big are you? if you lay on the tank and tuck in you will become more aerodynamic.

Weight

Air pressure in tires.

There are so many things that could effect your top speed. For me i hit 72 MPH (115 K/PH) on hard packed sand with bald stock tires running around 5 PSI all around, On our local river bar i hit 75 MPH (120 K/PH) with bald stock tires and 5 PSI all around. both time i had the speed limiter unplugged and the 15 tooth front sprocket. I also wieght around 280lbs (127 kilograms)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
700Rappy, Things that could cause you to loose speed would be;

Rotating mass (heavy wheel's and tire's, heavy axle, heavy sprocket)

terrain, (What are you riding on, Sand will slow you down and asphalt should help you go faster, Unless its sticky like a drag stripe. Then in may slow you down

Aerodynamics, (How big are you? if you lay on the tank and tuck in you will become more aerodynamic.

Weight

Air pressure in tires.

There are so many things that could effect your top speed. For me i hit 72 MPH (115 K/PH) on hard packed sand with bald stock tires running around 5 PSI all around, On our local river bar i hit 75 MPH (120 K/PH) with bald stock tires and 5 PSI all around. both time i had the speed limiter unplugged and the 15 tooth front sprocket. I also wieght around 280lbs (127 kilograms)

well i run the 20" HD's on the rear which are a little heavy and stock gearing which is worn out...im switching to the 15t front and i weigh 150lbs..im always riding on gravel or sandy trails...never asphalt...my tires are mint with 5 psi...i was thinking that for one...being rich, two running with worn out stock sprockets and a worn chain...and three being 5 inches wider ...currently i have the speed sensor plugged in...i was thinking that theses things could cause me to be slower? i was only able to hit 111km/hr (69mph)..

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I hit 71.8 on a gravel road with no lid, gytr intake, pcIII, and a slip-on pipe on GPS in my pocket. I weigh in about 195. The rev limiter was plugged in. I have holeshot h-d's all around, 20" rears, stock gearing. I'll post back in a couple weeks when I get er out again for a top speed run with my new hcII and full ct exhaust. Plenty fast on the trails for me!

I bet that 15T upfront would make a big difference on the top speed, but I prefer the stock gearing to get to that top speed faster!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't think the width would matter much other then the added weight and maybe more drag on the aerodynamics. The worn out chain and sprocket shouldn't make a huge difference. The rich Air/Fuel mix is probably whats killing you, add on the heavy tires and the sandy, loose gravel conditions and you on paper you should go slower.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok thx...well i replaced the sprockets and chain....i upgraded to a 15t front... im gonna try to lean out the bike once its all ready and ill see how it goes from there...im still waiting on rear pads...my bike will be ready for next week...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts