Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 13 hours on my rappy now and I want to switch to a full synthetic oil, how many hours do I need before I switch?

I was gonna go with Amsoil motorcycle oil but, I'm not sure which weight I should go with 10w-40 or 20w-50. The climate I ride in is very mild and the temps. range from 40F-80F.

·
Registered
205 Posts
dont change your oil untill youve hit 20 hrs because the rings need time to set. after that, change it, I did. I use mobel 1 full synthetic for atv's . get it at autozone. I think everyone runs some different amsoil than you named. 0 20 mabey... somone else please...

·
Registered
765 Posts
I switched to synthetic after 10 hours. Now have 21 hours on it and all is well. I do not think it takes the full 20 hours to seat rings now days. I use Red Line Racing 40wt, it's for race cars, but I called the Red Line factory and asked for a recommendation. They said they have several motocross teams using their Racing 30wt with great results. The guy at Red Line said that since Yamaha recommended 20w40 for my '07 to stick with the Racing 40wt, which is a 15w40. I think engines make more power with lighter oil, so I'd recommend Amsoil 10w40. I know the Powersports 0w40 is good oil, but I'd shy away from any 0w(anything) in an engine with a wet clutch. To get the 40 viscosity range an oil must contain lots of viscosity index improvers. These VII molecules are long chains of atoms that uncoil as heat rises to thicken the oil. The problem with these relatively large molecules in our application is that they tend to get sheared badly in the transmission and wet clutch. The closer the two numbers on oil, ie 10w40, or even 10w30, the less VII in the oil, as a general rule, the less it has to shear down and degrade the oil. If you'd care to run a straight weight oil like say a 40wt oil, they have no VII and would tend to last longer. In reality either Amsoil will be fine, just change it every 10 hours or so if you run it hard. I like the Mobil One Racing 4T in 10w40 also and will probably switch to that when I run out of Red Line. Also Maxima is out with a new 5w30 oil that looks very promissing. If I get the nerve to go lighter on viscosity then this is the oil I will try. Sorry for the long post, but oil is one of my "things".

·
Registered
263 Posts
yamaha now recommends the 20w 50 weights for hot temps...they ditched the old 20 40 formula... i always stick to the Yamalube...its a little more expensive but is formulated for our bikes...other oils dont hurt tho thats just what i prefer to use..

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The Amsoil that i run is the Formula 4-Stroke® PowerSports
0W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil (AFF).
Ive never had any issues useing it.
+1, was ridiculous the size of the hard on the AMSOIL dealer had over the 0W-40 Powersports blend. I started running it last year with no problems so far, but that is only 50 hrs on the AMSOIL so far.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I switch to synthetic on the second oil change. Amsoil 20-50, Thinking about Royal Purple on the New Build.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts