Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ya know, you hear the pros say often that people should upgrade the suspension before the motor. Few people (me included) actually do that. After seeing the mods I have done, the suspension and steering mods will make you a faster rider than more hp.

Granted everyone's skill and terrain is different but anyone can ride fast on a smooth straightaway and if that's what floats your boat, have a good time. Blazing down a tight, twisted, whooped out trail loaded with stumps or rocks, requires the proper suspension setup. The same with dunes, a setup for a tight twisty trail is not necessarily the best for sand runners. Since riders can vary from 150-300 pounds, the factory makes a generic setup. Yeah, it will get you from point A to B but it's a lot more fun doing it balls to the wall.

What order do you think the mods should be done by a newbie?

I will say:

1. Steering stabilizer
2. Shock rebuild to your specs
3. A-Arms
4. Big-3
5. +2 Throttle Body
6. Cam
7. Porting
8. Dyno Tune
9. Bore/stroke/dyno tune

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
i think the big 3 comes before everything for me. then the list as you have it

·
Registered
358 Posts
Agreed. The stock rappy just feels doggish otherwise.
+1, at least the big 2.5 (sparky removed). Throw the dynatek ignition in there with the cam/+2 TB and you have a good list. Steering stabilizer could come before the big 3, but probably won't for most people. Shock rebuild only works if you have an 07 SE or an 08, those of us with 06 raptors have only the replacement option (up front anyway).

·
Wheelie Master
510 Posts
This not how i am doing it & where you ride can greatly affect the list.But with the choices given.
P.S.The 1st thing i got was full skids lots of rocks around here.
1. Steering stabilizer
2. Big-3
3. A-Arms
4. Shock rebuild to your specs - or new shocks
5. Cam
6. Porting
7. +2 Throttle Body
8. Dyno Tune
9. Bore/stroke/dyno tune

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
see i ride a lot in sand so power is a big deal.

·
KUNG FU SAND PANDA
2,060 Posts
The kid in me says " Grip it and Rip it, and let the BIG DOG Eat" Power, Power and oh ya, more power.

Since turning 41 this month, my body is telling me, "You'll go faster with a smoother more controlled ride".

Like many of you have said, what type of riding you do will dictate what mods you'll do first.

For Duners/Hill Shooters - You can never have enough power

MX'ers - You need the nice balance of power and handling to get you around the track

Weekend Warriors - This is were I think most of us fit in, I would do as much suspenion/handling mods and skid plates to make the quad smoother. Ultimately, you will be faster and when you do get around to doing the "Big 3", watch out! Suspension/handling and the "Big 3" this is probably the most deadliest combo out there.

-Johnny

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ya know, you hear the pros say often that people should upgrade the suspension before the motor. Few people (me included) actually do that. After seeing the mods I have done, the suspension and steering mods will make you a faster rider than more hp.

Granted everyone's skill and terrain is different but anyone can ride fast on a smooth straightaway and if that's what floats your boat, have a good time. Blazing down a tight, twisted, whooped out trail loaded with stumps or rocks, requires the proper suspension setup. The same with dunes, a setup for a tight twisty trail is not necessarily the best for sand runners. Since riders can vary from 150-300 pounds, the factory makes a generic setup. Yeah, it will get you from point A to B but it's a lot more fun doing it balls to the wall.

What order do you think the mods should be done by a newbie?

I will say:

1. Steering stabilizer
2. Shock rebuild to your specs
3. A-Arms
4. Big-3
5. +2 Throttle Body
6. Cam
7. Porting
8. Dyno Tune
9. Bore/stroke/dyno tune
I agree the shocks/arms and steering stabilizer makes a good rider awesome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts