Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i just replaced the one-way on this 01 660 that i bought (not running) and it starts about once, then after that the relay clicks like hell and it won't turn over any more.
If you put a battery charger on it, it turns over plenty fast and fires right up...
The battery is new, and holding 12.5 Volts (tested with meter), all connections are clean/tight, and i even tried running an extra ground and it did not help.

Also i noticed with the meter that the relay is dropping about 4.2 Volts from the input to the output side when the starter button is engaged...

This makes me think the relay is bad, but when i jump across it with a screw driver the starter still turns slow.

So WTF?

·
I am smarter than you....
2,051 Posts
ok well this is easy. you answered the question yourself. you noticed the voltage dropping to 8 volts while cranking. you saw that at the relay so you took the relay out of the question by jumping the terminals. you have a dead battery. put the meter on the bat and crank if it goes below 10 volts its not good.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not so sure though...the battery is almost brand new and only drops to 11 V or so when cranking.
even when the relay shits out and starts clicking the battery is still at 11 volts with the button held down.
But the fact that jumping directly across the relay still won't get to turn fast enough to start sure does sound like a toasted battery.

·
2,051 Posts
it is the battery. you put on jumper cables and it starts just fine, you have eliminated every single thing except for the positive cable but I doubt it is that. I mean it is possible you have both a weak battery and a weak starter. always remember when diagnosing electrical problems all parts are used and anything can fail instantly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it looks like it was the battery after all. although it was holding 12.5 Volts, it would quickly dive to under 8 Volts during start-up.
I bought a new one today and it works great.

Thanks for all the input guys.

·
2,051 Posts
guys??? wtf????

just kidding. this one was easy, you did all the work and answered your own question. normally i have to go through every single step in diagnosing this problem. and for a lazy typer that is a lot to ask

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya i'm a pretty good wrench, but reading all the posts and confusion on the starter issues these bikes made it hard to make up my mind.

Now i'm off to kill the reverse and parking brake rev limiter...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts