Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of doing a few Hare Scrambles locally next summer.
Would like some help with what setup some of you experienced XC racers would suggest. Working with a somewhat limited budget also.

I ride alot of rocky & woody trails also, so this sort of setup wont go completely un-used if i dont race a ton next year.

Right now i am bone-stock except Tusk Nerfs & Powermadd handguards.
I bought a used controller and intake on here, should be shipped soon.

I know i will need a tether, what kind is the best?

Tires/Wheels:
Im thinking either iRAZR's or RAZR2's.
Would 20" rear tires be better than 22's for woods racing?
21" fronts also, or should i go with some 23's?
Obliviously down the road beadlocks or hipers, but i cant drop that kind of cash right now for a few races.

Gearing;
Everyone use stock gearing?
I run my stock gears right now and seems to be just fine for me

Exhaust:
I am thinking just a full single exhaust would be sufficient.
What is a good single that works great for woods racing/rec riding as well?

Skids:
Should i run full body metal skid, swinger skid, and a-arm skids? Seems like protection wise this would be great, but would also add alot of weight.

Theres other aspects i have thought of, but obliviously are rider preference.
If there is anything else you can suggest please do, open o all suggestions.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Though I have never raced XC but my quad is setup for it,And for the hell here in PA that i call Coal Country. I run razr2 22"front and 20" rear.On hiper tech3 rims.4+1 offset fronts for less bump steer and so i can still fit in tight spots. Pro armor belly skid, prm .250 swinger skid. I once had the a arm skids but they only packed with dirt/mud so i took them off.But then changed to MGC +2 JD arms. As for a tether pro armor makes a real nice one. Id recommend a steering stabilizer if you don't have one.And maybe a nice anti vibe stem if the budget allows. Gearing i run stock since i need the low end going thru woods,Even with a worked 60hp engine. Sorry I can't help with exhaust since i run duals.

Might want to look into these tires.They look like a nice setup
http://www.moddedraptor.com/community/product-reviews/12739-itp-quadcross-xc-tires.html

good luck with your racing.:beerchug:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hey man, XC is a blast youll have some fun. Start knocking out some cardio :)

Some guys on here will be all over this thread in a bit, lots of help. Also check out Quadzone.com and post up in the XC section, people will be very helpful.

Ok, ill just start rambling, hopefully it helps.

Ok XC is all about survivability. You and your quad must survive. There are expensive ways to do this, and some cost effective ways to do this.

First of all, suspension and handling are key! Not just front 450 shocks with ressies. You need something set up for you to take the rough terrain. When you arent set up right you get jerked around, and beat up as you're riding and you spend more time fighting the atv than riding it.

Steering stabilizer - doesnt have to be a 500 dollar job. A simple 80-200 dollar "stick" style that is rebuildable and adjustable will be great. Takes a lot of the stress off your arms. Keeps the front tires from jerking the handlebars when they hit some rough terrain.

Now some underside armor is your call. A skid plate, rotor guard and sprocket guard are all very helpful when you hit rocks and brush (like when you forge your own trail). Skip the a-arm guards, not worth it.

The Pro Armor tether works good for my buddy, I got some cheap-o job from the dealer and it works well too.

Some guys might say smaller than 20", I run 20" RAZR 2's and it really depends on the conditions. If its muddy and wet I think GBC Afterburners are a great mud tire. The Holeshot HD or the RAZR 2 are good for woods. RAZR 2 more for soft soil and light mud, HD for gravel, sand, and hard pack condions. Might get some other opinions but thats my take on it. Fronts I would think about GNCC fronts or RAZR 2 fronts. RAZR 2 for deep mud and loose soil, GNCC for hard pack or loose soil. Just a thought though, not saying you have to.

OMF, Hiper, dont skimp if you go beadlockers. The ones on Ebay that claim to be beadlockers, arent. If they are cheap-o, they probably arent real. They got my room mate with those imitations. Also Hiper is coming out with a foam filler in case you pop your tire to make it stay rounded so you can still ride. There is also Tireballs....expensive but it will keep you in the race :)

Single exhaust, I used an FMF header with TBR pipe, total crap. JSR and Curtis are expensive but great singles. We have several pipe shoot outs on the forums, you can find a good mid-range pipe or used pipe for cheap if you dig into the Parts for Sale section. Duals just get chewed up in the woods. HMF might be a good pipe.

Ok, a few thoughts would be having a spare set of goggles and gloves, some tear offs. Make sure your clutch is in good shape (OEM is fine for your set up) prior to starting, XC can be a clutch beater. Outerwears cover on the filter will be great if you get into deep water or water gets inside the airbox. Tie rods, clutches, flat tires and chains slipping off are the most common problems on the course, try to prepare prior to the race to avoid problems. (I over tightened my chain a bit before I started and at the end it was loose from the carrier slipping. If I started with a loose chain I would have lost it on the course. Check your carrier bolts and loc-tite to avoid slippage as best you can). Have a good oil change, maybe flush and fill your radiator (I do) just to have fresh fluids for the race. Double check everything, all your nuts! (um.....yea) Re-grease your swing-arm pivot bearings, carrier bearings and wheel bearings. check your brake pads, make sure your brake lever and pedal feel arent too soft, otherwise you might need to bleed. As it heats up during the race it can get harder to stop. Also freshly serviced suspension or hi-temp suspension fluid can be helpful, old improperly serviced shocks can heat up quick and not provide the same ride at the end of the race as the start.

Ok, ill stop there. with the rambling. Just to tell you, my buddy did his first ever last fall. He bent both tie rods, fried his clutch and flattened a tire before he completed his first lap, just have to be prepared and remember its not a sprint...its a marathon. You have 1.5-2 hours to win so dont go bouncing off the trees like him trying to pass everyone at every turn :) HAVE FUN!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Tires/Wheels:
Beadlocks good idea but not a must
I've always run 21" ITP GNCC up front and 21" GNCC on the back. But I notice many racers use 20" on the back.

Gearing;
stock is perfect

Exhaust:
Full HMF exhaust is the perfect set up

Skids:
Get a GT Thunder slid main skid plate (plastic/urethane)
Swinger I don't use a skid I use a single sprocket guard with no rotor guard. I would suggest a rotor guard though. I'm on 21"s and good at choosing lines.
A-arm skids are a waste of money.

Suspension should be your number one priority. That and working out. Your body will more than likely break down before the quad. haven't met a stabilizer I've liked yet maybe you'll have better luck. Race by yourself through your trails seat time is the only thing that's going to get you in the correct shape. Race at your own pace and have fun.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
to start with i would just get some decent tire!! stronger tie-rods and skids!! then go from there depending if you want to get a little more serious!! i have been running a bone stock kfx 450 this year for a few races since i locked up the raptor. its possible to run bone stock but not recommended!!! like said be for usually you will do good as long as your quad holds up!!

do suspension before power!!! suspension will make you way faster in the woods then any motor work will!! even if its just some revalves it still helps!! you don't have to sink a shit ton of money into your quad to go fast just spend it in the right spots and you will be good to go!!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I definitely say suspension and handling is first priority. Getting your shocks done and your front end set up will help more than anything. Tires also, and I like bigger ones but I'm currently running 21/20's and they do handle better. I have a plastic engine skid as well and I'm working on a rotor guard now, I have a sprocket guard already. I run 14/37 gearing but I like a little taller gear and less shifting. Get your handlebars in a comfortable position. Mine is 47" wide and I wouldn't want to be any wider so be careful choosing arms if you do that down the road. Mine are + .5" with 3/2 wheels.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Pretty complete list there. I'll give you my list:

1. 6ply Tires (21/20 combo, tread of your choice)
2. Steering stabilizer (get a precision, only way to go)
3. Soft bars or flex bars
4. Get your shocks revalved and resprung for your weight and riding conditions.
5. Go have fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts