Modded Raptors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Raptor Gets Increased Power and Suspension Performance; No Price Increase for 2015

CYPRESS, Calif. – October 16, 2014 – Yamaha Motor Corp., U.S.A., today introduced the new 2015 Raptor 700R and Raptor 700 boasting increased power and suspension performance. The “king of sport ATVs” continues its reign as the best-selling big bore sport ATVs*.

Yamaha, the best-selling sport ATV brand in the U.S., continues to push the limits of performance in the sport category with the 2015 Raptor 700R pulling approximately 10 percent more power this year from its fuel-injected 686cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, 4-valve, single-cylinder engine.

To reach the increased output along with improved fuel efficiency and reduced emissions, Yamaha gave the Raptor’s 700-class power plant a new cylinder head, increased compression ratio (10.0:1), a new exhaust system, updated valve timing and fuel injection mapping. For 2015, Yamaha has also incorporated a D.I.D. X-ring drive chain with added durability.

Power makes the Raptor the top big bore, but it is the addition of superior handling and comfort that makes it one of the best sport ATVs of all time. Yamaha improved these aspects on the 2015 model as well with new front and rear suspension settings and new construction Maxxis 22-inch front tires providing increased comfort and superior handling. The Raptor 700 (non-R) receives many of the same performance updates for 2015 – offering superior performance at an extreme value – $500 less (MSRP).

“Yamaha, year-over-year, has committed to furthering the sport ATV market and as such has dominated by bringing new and improved models like the Raptor 700R,” said Steve Nessl, Yamaha’s ATV and SxS group marketing manager.

The 2015 Raptor 700R will come in a new Yamaha Blue/White color scheme with and an MSRP of $8,199 – no price increase over the 2014 models. A Special Edition model with unique black-white plastics and red painted frame plus GYTR heel guards and front grab bar will also be available for $8,799 MSRP. A standard (non-R) version Raptor 700 in Yamaha Blue/White has an MSRP of $7,699.

The new Raptors will be available this fall and are being assembled at the U.S. factory in Newnan, Georgia.

·
Registered
36 Posts
An entirely new head? Interesting. I wonder how different it is from the years prior.

·
Registered
112 Posts
from the picture it looks like it's a single port exhaust compared to the 2 exhaust port from the earlier 700R's ...dunno how much better or worst the head flows tough !... im sure some will find out soon enough on here lol... wonder if it's compatible with the other 700's too

·
Registered
48 Posts
Was looking on atvtrader.com at 2015 raptor 700 and it shows picture with dual exaust ports?

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Good ol smog .. It was a matter of time the Griz and Rhino have it already. Different cam , bump the compression , advertise a little more power . Great spin.
On a plus side 32bit ecu. Welcome to the 90"s . Yahoo

·
Registered
112 Posts
Was looking on atvtrader.com at 2015 raptor 700 and it shows picture with dual exaust ports?
ohh really ... from this pic it really looks like theres only 1 lol... I may be completely wrong heh

·
Registered
112 Posts
ohh really ... from this pic it really looks like theres only 1 lol... I may be completely wrong heh
I found this on atv .com

First and foremost, Yamaha found a way to squeeze out another 10% of power from the engine. This was done by redesigning the camshaft, cylinder head, creating a new muffler to work with the new single port exhaust, and by adding an AI system. The cylinders and rods are also newly designed, with an increased compression ratio of 10.0:1, giving the Raptor just a bit more “revability” to go along with its power increase.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If the 2015 model does have a single exhaust port it's going to make it harder to extract power on built motors. The exhaust port is the sweet spot on the 2006-2014 heads, they flow extremely well from the factory. The intake side is where the restriction is.

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And I was waiting on the redesign to buy another new one. Looks like they are going in the wrong direction..

·
Registered
36 Posts
From the Yamaha website...

Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

It is definitely one exhaust port, and not a very big one from the look of it. The angle is also a bit different. I recall my stock exhaust sitting much lower, practically on top of the clutch cable. I am curious to hear what the justification is behind this exhaust change.

·
Registered
48 Posts
10% power increase....:censored:why wont they put out a raptor with 80ish hp stock?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
There are plenty of 450s making big power with a single exhaust port, so I'm sure it can be done up to a certain point. Some of these larger race engines may be hindered on power with only a single port. It would require a very large exhaust header to perform up to the standard of what the dual exhaust do. The exhaust port diameter on the head will be the tale... tale of what is possible performance wise.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I think it's too soon to know if the 2015 is worth it over the previous models. Once we get our hands on one then will know what the capabilities are, motor wise. As a stock motor, 3 mod, or even 5 mod I'm sure the 2015 will perform just as well if not better as previous years.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Yes, I have. If the diameter on the 2015 exhaust port is anything like the Grizzly, performance is going to be affected on high performance builds. The turbo guys may like the single exhaust port due to the ease of manufacturing/installing their manifold. I have heard of a couple turbo raptors with Grizzly heads on them. I believe RE got their hands on one a couple years ago. I'm sure Bob could expand on the turbo subject.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Whenever there are limits or changes put on motorsports for whatever reason people will overcome it and in most cases exceed. Time will tell.

Personally what excites me is the 32gig ecu and its possible ease of interchangeability. The flywheel will be different but in all should interchange . Weather it uses a secondary pick up and if the 180deg pick up will change.

Also exciting how it will affect the copy cats will the current stuff they use and can they adapt. There aren't as many builders to leach off of as there once was.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Personally I feel like Yamaha's reason for the head change was simply monetary. Since this is the head on the other 700 variants why not use it on the Raptor and remove the need to cast a dual port head, other than for replacement needs of course. It would be nice if they would move the exhaust rocker to match the ratio of the intake rocker and perhaps remove most of the need for additional rocker clearance in the performance world. I am certainly in no way happy about the head change. I would have much rather seen the same head as previous years with the addition of a factory 47-48mm throttle body and a touch larger intake to match.

I foresee a large demand for dual port heads in about 4 years as long as Yamaha doesn't drop the twin cylinder Raptor by then.

To answer any questions there the Yamaha R&D department does/did have a 1000cc twin cylinder Raptor, totally new design. I learned of it about 4-5 years ago when speaking to someone in that department about building a 660/700 hybrid before it became more popular. I will tell you the same thing that man told me; " look for the twin engine in the side by side and Grizzly, the Raptor will follow." Now, he did go on to tell me that the engine they had was way more powerful than the one that would be produced and that it would more than likely be produced as a 900cc. I don't know what exactly the plan for that engine is/was or if the whole idea was nixed. I do know that twin cylinder Raptor that of that size would be a game changer as long as the case could support some serious added power.

Brandon

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right now the Raptor is a great dune and trail machine. If they put a 1000cc motor in it, they will be catering to the sand crowd and the Raptor would suck in the woods. I don't see it happening. I would just like to see them improve the current motor instead of starting over and going a different direction. They know they have a good thing. Cant wait to see what they do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts