Modded Raptors Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drilled and tapped the carrier for a zerk grease fitting, it has to be completely removed from the swingarm and the inner sleeve needs to have holes drilled in it in order for the grease to make it all the way to the axle and bearings. This dramatically makes it easier to remove the axle. I also installed zerk fittings in the swingarm to also extend the life of the bearings and increase ease of removal. I have done 4 of these now and they all have worked out really well, I highly recommend that this be done.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
That looks great. I wonder if it would help to rotate the axle while greasing the rear zerk..? I would do this mod but I don't wanna pull my swinger out right now.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, just a blade of grass ... took it a spin in the yard before pic, but that is a very good observation.

·
Super Moderator
5,646 Posts
Oh good. :lol: Nice mod, not sure why the factory skimps so bad on zerks.. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its gonna oozzee out.....how much grease did it take???? have u had the carrier out....
Yeah, I had to take the carrier out to do this correctly. It takes a pile of grease due to the void between the carrier and swingarm. It may ooze out eventually but I haven't had any come out yet, unless you adjust the chain, then some will come out at the 4 allen bolts, but not much.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
ok, that was the point i was getting at.....there is only that strip of rubber that seals the pinch gap
wanted to do that to my last bike.....

·
Registered
263 Posts
good idea..

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought a +10 swinger and it came with a grease fitting in the carrier. But for the stockers that looks nice.
Thanks ! I just checked bearings for play a couple days ago and they are still good. It's amazing how much longer they last.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Yeah, I had to take the carrier out to do this correctly. It takes a pile of grease due to the void between the carrier and swingarm. It may ooze out eventually but I haven't had any come out yet, unless you adjust the chain, then some will come out at the 4 allen bolts, but not much.

Nice job man....

·
Registered
432 Posts
I like the idea of the swinger pivot point bearing but like above I thought the carrier ones were sealed. They were on my Suzuki but that's apples to oranges, sort of.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was told the stock bearings in the carrier are sealed bearings.
The trick is to remove the inner seal to allow the grease in.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The bearings in my carrier are only shielded (seal on one side only).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts